Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book Review: Home in The Cave

We have loved the book, Good Night, Little Sea Otter by Janet Halfmann, so when Janet contacted me about reviewing her newest children's book I was eager to do so!

Home in the Cave is a story about a young bat who doesn't want to leave the cave where he was born...until he learns about the other cave animals who depend on bats for their survival.

What I loved about the book was that through a simple story the author was able to introduce children to the science of caves.  New vocabulary such as stalactites and guano are easy to understand through the context of the story and the beautiful pictures.

The book also has four pages of more in depth science explanations and activities at the end to extend learning after reading the story.  What a great way to tie literature and science together!

I also appreciated that the young bat showed love to his mother and his friends.  I always like a book that depicts character traits I want my children to develop!