Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homemade Oatmeal Packets- A Success!

Here's the little taste tester giving her smile of approval!
My two year old LOVES instant oatmeal packets.  She could probably eat two or three for breakfast.  Every morning.  Now oatmeal has a lot of good things going for it- it's high in fiber, helps her stay full all morning, is quick to prepare.  But the packets from the store are also loaded with sugar and when she's going through them so quickly they add up at the cash register.

I've been wanting to try making a homemade version and finally got around to it this past weekend.

I used the recipes from this blog and Amy helped me mix everything together.  We put a few servings in baggies until I decided that we could just put it all in a container and scoop out the amount we want.  We made a double batch of the strawberry kind (minus the dairy creamer).  (We happened to have freeze dried strawberries on hand) but the blog has recipes for other flavors too.

I like that with making our own instant oatmeal I am in charge of the sugar amount.  If you are used to store bought instant oatmeal packets you might want to add a little more sugar than the recipe calls for and gradually decrease it each time you make the recipe as a subtle way to break your family into a less sugary breakfast. 

Hope you like this as much as we do!