Monday, December 6, 2010

Playing With Shaving Cream: the clean hands version

After I posted about playing with beans, several of you recommended trying shaving cream as a fun sensory activity. Knowing that my son doesn't enjoy getting his hands dirty (he has finally warmed up to playing in the sand after much exposure and encouragement!) I knew he would need a little help with the shaving cream.
I gave him a plastic fork and spoon, and a short straw to blow the shaving cream. He drew pictures and lines, and the letter I (the only letter he can write on his own). The first few times his fingers touched the shaving cream he wanted to wash his hands, but he always wanted to play again.

I think next time we may bring out the cookie cutters. What other clean hands ideas do you have? I'd love to hear them!
Note: If you let your child blow the shaving cream with a straw, please supervise so that the child does not accidentally suck shaving cream up the straw into their mouth!